Available as an eBook for subscribing libraries on .
For individuals at paper price on and
Other eBook partners.
‘This volume collects a number of original, cutting-edge contributions that take the reader swiftly and easily to the frontier of research on most of the current hot topics in industrial organization, antitrust and regulation. Skillfully edited by two outstanding leaders in the field, the volume will be a precious source for students, researchers and practitioners that need to figure out what research has achieved in recent years on these important policy issues.’
– Giancarlo Spagnolo, SITE – Stockholm School of Economics and University of Tor Vergata, Sweden
Contributors: P.J. Agrell, K. Alexander, G. Biglaiser, E. Calvano, C. Cambini, J. Crémer, X. Dassiou, G. Deltas, F. Etro, L. Filistrucchi, R. Fiocco, A. Fortunato, P.N. Fotis, A. Gautier, M. Gilli, D. Glycopantis, J.E. Harrington Jr., T.F. Huertas, M. Ivaldi, B. Jullien, Y. Katsoulacos, T.J. Klein, J. Koenen, V. Marques, T.O. Michielsen, S. Mitraille, C. Muller, M. Peitz, L. Rondi, A. Salvo, I. Soares, Y. Spiegel, E. Tarantino, H. Vasconcelos, G. Wood
Full table of contents
This state-of-the-art volume highlights important recent research contributions covering all the significant themes surrounding competition policy and regulation, including financial regulation and multisided markets.
Bringing scholars and policymakers to the frontiers of research and addressing the critical issues of the day, the book presents original important new theoretical and empirical results. The distinguished contributors include: P. Agrel, K. Alexander, J. Crémer, X. Dassiou, G. Deltas, F. Etro, L. Filistrucchi, P. Fotis, M. Gilli, J. Harrington Jr, T. Huertas, M. Ivaldi, B. Jullien, V. Marques, M. Peitz, Y. Spiegel, E. Tarrantino and G. Wood.
Recent Advances in the Analysis of Competition Policy and Regulation will prove insightful for academic economists, consultants and policymakers interested in these fields.
Joseph E. Harrington Jr and Yannis Katsoulacos
PART I: COMPETITION POLICY AND RELATED ISSUES
1. Switching Costs and Network Effects in Competition Policy
Jacques Crémer and Gary Biglaiser
2. Corporate Leniency with Private Information: An Exploratory Example
Joseph E. Harrington Jr
3. The Economics of Pending Patents
Johannes Koenen and Martin Peitz
4. Testing for the Presence of a Maverick in the French Audit Industry
Marc Ivaldi, Sébastien Mitraille and Catherine Muller
5. Optimal Decisions in Two-stage Bundling
Xeni Dassiou and Dionysius Glycopantis
6. Competition Policy and Firm’s Damages
Panagiotis N. Fotis
7. Social-Welfare-Enhancing Collusion and Trade
George Deltas, Alberto Salvo and Helder Vasconcelos
PART II: ONLINE SEARCH, ADVERTISING AND TWO-SIDED MARKETS
8. A Note on Vertical Search Engines’ Foreclosure
9. Issues in Online Advertising and Competition Policy: A Two-sided Market Perspective
Emilio Calvano and Bruno Jullien
10. Assessing Unilateral Merger Effects in the Dutch Daily Newspaper Market
Lapo Filistrucchi, Tobias J. Klein and Thomas O. Michielsen
11. Leadership in Multi-sided Markets and Dominance in Online Advertising
PART III: REGULATION
12. Bargaining and Collusion in a Regulatory Model
Raffaele Fiocco and Mario Gilli
13. Investment and the Strategic Role of Capital Structure in Regulated Industries: Theory and Evidence
Carlo Cambini, Laura Rondi and Yossi Spiegel
14. Rethinking Regulatory Capture
Per J. Agrell and Axel Gautier
15. Can Structural Models be Useful to Understand the Electricity Wholesale Markets? An Application to Spain
Vítor Marques, Adelino Fortunato and Isabel Soares
PART IV: FINANCIAL REGULATION
16. Rebuilding International Financial Regulation and Basel III
17. The Shock of the Old: The First Financial Crisis of the Twenty-first Century
18. Fixing Finance: Are We There Yet?
Thomas F. Huertas