Regional Trade Agreements In Asia
Tran Van Hoa
, Charles Harvie
Edited by Tran Van Hoa, Research Professor, Centre for Strategic Economic Studies, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia and Charles Harvie, Associate Professor and Director, Centre for Small Business and Regional Research, University of Wollongong, Australia
|2008 296 pp Hardback 978 1 84720 061 7
|ebook isbn 978 1 78254 350 3
Hardback £83.00 on-line price £74.70
Available as an eBook for subscribing libraries on .
For individuals at paper price on and
Other eBook partners.
Tran Van Hoa and Charles Harvie present this original study of the likely effects of new regional development. The first East Asia Summit in 2005 prompted discussions of enlargement of ASEAN free trade agreements to include all major trading blocs and their likely regional and global implications. The contributors to this book, internationally renowned experts from ASEAN, East Asia, India and Oceania, analyse the probable impacts of this expansion on trade, investment, development, poverty and economic growth and integration.
Contributors: E. Cheng, A. Goyal, B. Grewal, N.M. Hai, C. Harvie, W. Lewnanonchai, G. Li, P. Lloyd, P. Malhotra, A. Puntasen, T. Rattanawarinchai, S. Ray, T. Van Hoa, X. Wei, Y. Zhao
Full table of contents
The first East Asia Summit in 2005 prompted discussions of enlargement of ASEAN free trade agreements to include all major trading blocs and their regional and global implications. In this timely and original study, Tran Van Hoa and Charles Harvie explore the likely effects of new regional development.
With more than half of the world’s consumption and production market, well-defined trade agreements in Asia remain crucial to the economic growth and stability of the area. This book contains scholarly and well-researched contributions from internationally renowned experts from ASEAN, East and South Asia and Oceania who discuss this major new development and its impact on trade, investment, services, development, industry, poverty and economic relations. An important collection of new research, this volume will be used by economists, trade experts, academics, students, government advisers, policymakers and all those interested in these significant contemporary developments and their far-ranging implications in an enlarged Asia.
PART I: REGIONAL ECONOMIC INTEGRATION ISSUES
1. Regional Trade Agreements in Asia: An Overview
Tran Van Hoa and Charles Harvie
2. The WTO, Regional Trade Agreements and an Enlarged ASEAN
Tran Van Hoa
3. Deep Integration in Regional Trading Agreements
4. China’s Global Competitiveness and Regional Trade and Investment
PART II: ECONOMIC, TRADE, INVESTMENT AND INTEGRATION ISSUES FOR ENLARGED ASEAN MEMBERS
5. India’s Poor and Gains from Trade with ASEAN
6. Aspects of an Enlarged ASEAN: a Perspective from Thailand
Apichai Puntasen, Wichada Lewnanonchai and Thanawan Rattanawarinchai
7. Agricultural Issues in an Enlarged ASEAN: The Case of Vietnam
Nguyen Manh Hai and Tran Van Hoa
8. Prospects for an AFTA-CER Free Trade Agreement
PART III: MICRO, FINANCE, MANAGEMENT AND SECTORAL ISSUES IN AN ENLARGED ASEAN
9. SMEs in Regional Trade and Investment Development
10. Asian Reserves and the Dollar: Issues in an Enlarged ASEAN
11. TRIPS-plus: Free Trade Agreements Jeopardizing Public Health in Developing Nations
Prabodh Malhotra and Bhajan Grewal
12. The Micro-finance Movement in China: Lessons and Initiatives for an Enlarged ASEAN
13. China’s Corporate Culture and Implications for Trade and Investment in the Asian Region
Guirong Li and Xianfeng Wei
PART IV: CONCLUSIONS AND PROSPECTS
14. Challenges and Opportunities from an Enlarged ASEAN
Tran Van Hoa